Timing is everything when making major decisions for the growth and success of your business. It can be hard to know when: when to buy, when to sell, when to expand, when to move, when to market, when to hire, when to scale back, when to push forward, when, when, when, when, when. In this technology-driven world, it is especially critical to know when is the right time for business technology upgrades. Upgrade too soon and you will spend money you may need somewhere else. Upgrade too late and your competition could leave you behind. Consider the following to determine when is best to upgrade your business technology.
Business Technology Upgrades: Things to Consider
Technology is always advancing making things faster, easier, and more cost-efficient. In the business world, this often translates to a better bang for your buck. Your business will function at optimal capacity when your business technology is up-to-date and fully functional at all times, and this yields an increase to your bottom line. It isn’t necessarily feasible to upgrade your technology at every turn, but you can develop a strategy for upgrade that keeps you within your budget and on the frontline. Here are some things to consider when developing your technology upgrade strategy:
- Your Cost. Keeping your computers, programs, and other technology systems (like phones) up-to-date will require capital, but not doing so could cost you more. Imagine if you can save all of your employees just 5 minutes a day with faster, smoother systems. If you pay them $13/hr and they work 5 days a week with 2 weeks a year off payroll, you will save $270/year per employee. If they make $25/hr, that’s $520/year in savings per employee. Don’t overlook the strain of daily technology frustration when systems are slow, either. You may be paying a cost in company morale by not upgrading often enough.
- Your Office. Evaluate your business operations and available funds to determine what technology needs to be upgraded and when. Consider your business needs, wants, and goals. Also be mindful of training cost and time required to implement new technology. Conducting a technology upgrade evaluation each summer is a great way to stay on top of your technology needs. Summer is also a good time to implement upgrades and training, if your business cycle is typically slower.
- Your Industry. Keeping up with the technology trends in your specific industry is key to knowing when upgrades are essential and when it’s ok to wait. New tools are being developed constantly that could improve your efficiency and productivity. Research the technology available in the market, but also keep a pulse on your employees’ experience. They will know which improvements will help them and which would be unnecessary.
- Your Future. Look ahead and invest in technology you won’t have to upgrade again soon. Make sure your computers are equipped with as much memory as your budget allows. Choose equipment that is flexible enough to handle future technology upgrades you may need. Invest your money in technology wisely and purposefully, keeping your long-term plans and goals in mind.
- Your Time. Keeping up with the latest technology trends and evaluating your business needs takes time you may not have. It is critical to keep your technology as up-to-date as possible, though, to ensure you remain competitive in the market. You may also not have time for implementing new technology and training your employees. Consider partnering with an IT company who can help you review your needs, implement new technology, and train your employees.
Your Business, Your Upgrades
Don’t let technology and your competition pass your business by. Your bottom line will remain optimized when you keep your business technology up-to-date and fully functional. Partner with a company who provides IT consulting and implementation services to help you plan your upgrades and keep everything running smoothly. Enstep is a technology business partner and IT service provider for the small to medium business market in the greater Houston area. In business since 2001, Enstep is dedicated to making technology more effective and affordable while you focus on your business goals. For more information or help to determine when a technology upgrade is right for you, Contact Us.